Imbolc suggestions
Rhiannon S
2004-01-06 15:47:08 UTC
With february fast approaching (it is so), and me being a kitcheny sort of
fluffly squeaking person:oP can anyone suggest what sort of foodstuffs I should
be making for Imbolc? I'd imagine, it would be something to do with dairy
produce, given the origin of the holiday, but I'd welcome suggestions for what,
please?

ta in advance
--
Rhiannon
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rhiannon_s/
A: depends on what you want it changed into!
francis
2004-01-06 20:42:51 UTC
Post by Rhiannon S
With february fast approaching (it is so), and me being a kitcheny sort
of fluffly squeaking person:oP can anyone suggest what sort of
foodstuffs I should be making for Imbolc? I'd imagine, it would be
something to do with dairy produce, given the origin of the holiday,
but I'd welcome suggestions for what, please?
Friend Ronald is constantly reminding us that Imbolc is to do with the
lactation of the yews (female sheep that is ;; nothing to do with
graveyard trees). A little lamb pie as a seasonal dish, perhaps?
--
Francis

"Folly is an endless maze" - William Blake, 1789
Jackdaw
2004-01-07 08:07:45 UTC
Post by francis
Post by Rhiannon S
With february fast approaching (it is so), and me being a kitcheny sort
of fluffly squeaking person:oP can anyone suggest what sort of
foodstuffs I should be making for Imbolc? I'd imagine, it would be
something to do with dairy produce, given the origin of the holiday,
but I'd welcome suggestions for what, please?
Friend Ronald is constantly reminding us that Imbolc is to do with the
lactation of the yews (female sheep that is ;; nothing to do with
graveyard trees). A little lamb pie as a seasonal dish, perhaps?
Cheese straws>
Cheese Fondant stuff ( in the darkness lit only with candles.)
And perhaps if the weather is dry, a late night Bar-B-Q, candles / lanterns
/ Mead / stuff.

--
Jackdaw ( UK )
collector of facts, trivia and bright twinkly things!
Mouse
2004-01-07 20:19:19 UTC
Post by Rhiannon S
With february fast approaching (it is so), and me being a kitcheny sort of
fluffly squeaking person:oP can anyone suggest what sort of foodstuffs I should
be making for Imbolc? I'd imagine, it would be something to do with dairy
produce, given the origin of the holiday, but I'd welcome suggestions for what,
please?
ta in advance
--
Rhiannon
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rhiannon_s/
Q: how many witches does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: depends on what you want it changed into!
I love cooking for this Sabbat as I love milk, cheese and cream!
Last year I made dishes with feta and goats cheese, and some white chocolate
ice-cream.
Delia Smith had a wonderful recipe for goats cheese, potato and thyme bread
(a bit more like savoury scone mixture) which is easy and very yummy. Any
cheese though can be used. If you would like I could dig it out. I think it
was in a Comic Relief cookbook she did one year.
I also find some good recipes on the BBC website, food section.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/
Happy time creating!!
Mouse

P.S. Rhiannon sorry to send my post to you off list - hit the wrong button -
doh!
June
2004-01-08 13:29:38 UTC
Post by Rhiannon S
With february fast approaching (it is so), and me being a kitcheny sort of
fluffly squeaking person:oP can anyone suggest what sort of foodstuffs I should
be making for Imbolc? I'd imagine, it would be something to do with dairy
produce, given the origin of the holiday, but I'd welcome suggestions for what,
please?
ta in advance
--
Rhiannon
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rhiannon_s/
Q: how many witches does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: depends on what you want it changed into!
I know this isn't quite what you meant but the kids and me have great
fun making butter in jars for Imbolc. You just put whipped cream in a
clean jar and shake. And shake. And shake *L* Eventually it separates in
to a lump of creamy butter and some liquid (which is buttermilk and can
be used in cooking). Squeeze any last bits of milk out of the butter and
eat...yum!
Of course you could do it in a food processor in a fraction of the time,
but where's the fun in that <grin>

--

June
www.he-ed.org.uk
Jymn
2004-01-08 13:38:12 UTC
June wrote:
<snip>
Post by June
(which is buttermilk and can
be used in cooking).
Use to make scones, which will go perfectly with the butter

Jymn
Jani
2004-01-08 14:54:54 UTC
Post by Jymn
<snip>
Post by June
(which is buttermilk and can
be used in cooking).
Use to make scones, which will go perfectly with the butter
Jymn
OK, so who's making the jam, then? :)

Jani
Jymn
2004-01-08 15:27:07 UTC
Jani wrote:
<snip previous>
Post by Jani
OK, so who's making the jam, then? :)
I suppose it being the time of year, it should be real marmalade with
Seville oranges
Or following my preference for foods tying the cycle and festivals, berry
jams from autumn equinox - having said that I had a complete failure to
achieve any of that over the last year :(

Jymn
francis
2004-01-08 19:49:08 UTC
Post by Jani
OK, so who's making the jam, then? :)
Motorway Maintenance? :)}

Jani
2004-01-08 23:50:25 UTC
Post by francis
Post by Jani
OK, so who's making the jam, then? :)
Motorway Maintenance? :)}
Orange cone-serve?

Jani
francis
2004-01-09 19:52:36 UTC
Post by Jani
Post by francis
Post by Jani
OK, so who's making the jam, then? :)
Motorway Maintenance? :)}
Orange cone-serve?
May the lord have marmite on your sole ... :)}

Nuala
2004-01-09 10:36:59 UTC
Post by Jani
Post by Jymn
<snip>
(which is buttermilk and can be used in cooking).
Use to make scones, which will go perfectly with the butter
OK, so who's making the jam, then? :)
Will makes jam. Perhaps he has some left. :)

Actually, where *is* Will?

Oh, and pancakes are appropriate for Imbolc, along with shortbread and
cakes, beansprout salads or any chillis/curries/stews with beans.

And look what I found whilst reading through old files!

***********************

As per request, here's the recipe for milk based mead.

For a 1 Gallon Batch

1/2 Gallon lactose free milk (lactolite)
1/2 Gallon Water
2 1/2lbs honey
yeast

Place all ingredients in a LARGE container - not a gallon demijohn!! This
stuff expands like crazy

After 2 weeks rack into secondary - filtering off the curds. Continue
fermenting until it's ready.

Bard

************************

~Love and blessings~
--
'I don't care if you are a Viking, get that fucking axe out of the dartboard!'
- Billy Connolly
Wood Avens
2004-01-09 21:11:47 UTC
Post by Nuala
As per request, here's the recipe for milk based mead.
[snip]

I'm tempted to try this, but what does it actually taste like?

bb
Wood Avens

"Subtract the python and think crushed velvet."

spamtrap: remove number to reply
janet
2004-01-12 18:04:56 UTC
Post by Wood Avens
Post by Nuala
As per request, here's the recipe for milk based mead.
[snip]
I'm tempted to try this, but what does it actually taste like?
Neither Ellie nor I can answer that.

At all.

In any way.

At all.

We did NOT imbibe an entire bottle between us.

Because it had to go round the table to get from Ellie to me.....

So some people (glares at 'em) took sips in between Ellie and me!!

Harumph.

Ahem.

Tis wonderful. :)
--
janet Email : ***@karlsforums.com
mwcnbf - esoterrorist
http://www.karlsforums.com/forums/
Jymn
2004-01-09 21:31:13 UTC
Nuala wrote:
<massive snip>
Post by Nuala
And look what I found whilst reading through old files!
and I thought I was bad for keeping stuff in case it came in useful.

<snip>
Post by Nuala
As per request, here's the recipe for milk based mead.
Warning it smells foul while fermenting.
Can't remember how young the milk mead Bard had at Broomcon was - but it
didn't quite smell right, but tasted very good.
Possibly one to make this Imbolc for next.

Jymn
Halla
2004-01-09 22:21:00 UTC
Post by Nuala
Post by Jani
Post by Jymn
<snip>
(which is buttermilk and can be used in cooking).
Use to make scones, which will go perfectly with the butter
OK, so who's making the jam, then? :)
Will makes jam. Perhaps he has some left. :)
Actually, where *is* Will?
Oh, and pancakes are appropriate for Imbolc, along with shortbread and
cakes, beansprout salads or any chillis/curries/stews with beans.
I'm feeling hungry again now. <g>
Post by Nuala
And look what I found whilst reading through old files!
***********************
As per request, here's the recipe for milk based mead.
[...]
Post by Nuala
************************
Bleargh. Bleargh? Dunno whether I like the sound of milk mead...
suppose I'd have to make some and try it.

How much yeast, I wonder?
Post by Nuala
~Love and blessings~
--
'I don't care if you are a Viking, get that fucking axe out of the dartboard!'
- Billy Connolly
D'you know, one of our family friends wanted an axeboard in his pub?
Couldn't really find a way to have big sharp weapon embedded in the
wall without any hassles from the relevent authorities, though. <g>