Taliesin's (Gwion Bach's) cycles of inspiration
David Dalton
2015-07-15 04:20:30 UTC
On my Salmon on the Thorns webpage I analyze patterns and
significant episodes in my mood cycles and compare them
to those of past figures.

The first such past figure I discovered, and the one I
have the most evidence for, is Taliesin (Gwion Bach),
who I define as the poet who wrote the quotes I give
below (since some work attributed to him may have been
written by others much later).

From the beginning of 1993 to early September 1994 I
three times experienced a 5.5 lunar month (162 days,
6 Carrington solar rotations) separation between a
waxing gibbous moon trial onset and a waning crescent
inspiration/high onset. (I predicted the third such high.)

In the following I refer to the book Taliesin: Shamanism and
the Bardic Mysteries in Britain and Ireland by John Matthews
(with additional material by Caitlin Matthews). The Aquarian
Press/an imprint of Harper Collins, 1991 ISBN 1-85538-109-5.

On p.97 as part of the poem The Hostile Confederacy, several
lines read

"Seven score muses
There are in the inspiration of song;
Eight score in every score
In the great abyss of tranquility
In the great abyss of wrath..."

The seven score muses I think refers to the number of
lunar months (of 29.53 days) in an 11 year solar sunspot cycle.
As it turns out, there are 136 lunar months in 11 years
but 140 lunar months from the first waning crescent high
is equivalent to 7 years (which turns up in stories of
other celtic figures such as Amergin and Fionn) from
the time the low years begin.

The eight score, in days, corresponds to the above-mentioned
5.5 lunar month separation.

I think the great abyss of tranquility is depression,
and the great abyss of wrath is paranoia.

Taliesin also mentions "three times in the prison of
Arianrhod" (p.238) which I think refers to the
waxing gibbous moon trials (with release no later
than full moon), and "three times inspired by Ceridwen"
which I think refers to the waning crescent (old moon) highs.

The 5.5 lunar month separation is also related to the
following quote from Matthews' book, p.321,

"its inspiring brew ages over five cauldrons, (brewing)."

I discuss Taliesin (Gwion Bach) some more on my Salmon
on the Thorns web page, particularly on the subsubpage
http://www.nfld.com/~dalton/celtic.html .

Feel free to pass this information to any Welsh druids
or scholars that you know who might be interested in
collaborating with me in this research.
"When the train, it left the station, with two lights on behind
Well, the blue light was my blues, and the red light was my mind" (R.J.)
David Dalton
2015-07-18 02:57:54 UTC
Post by David Dalton
Feel free to pass this information to any Welsh druids
or scholars that you know who might be interested in
collaborating with me in this research.
I have also emailed it to office contacts for several
druid organizations.
David Dalton
2015-07-19 02:02:07 UTC
Post by David Dalton
Post by David Dalton
Feel free to pass this information to any Welsh druids
or scholars that you know who might be interested in
collaborating with me in this research.
I have also emailed it to office contacts for several
druid organizations.
including OBOD, BDO, ADF, RDNA, Welsh Gorsedd, and Keltria,
and also to Caitlin Matthews and R.J. Stewart. I haven't
received any replies yet though.
David Dalton
2015-07-20 05:24:37 UTC
Post by David Dalton
Post by David Dalton
Post by David Dalton
Feel free to pass this information to any Welsh druids
or scholars that you know who might be interested in
collaborating with me in this research.
I have also emailed it to office contacts for several
druid organizations.
including OBOD, BDO, ADF, RDNA, Welsh Gorsedd, and Keltria,
and also to Caitlin Matthews and R.J. Stewart. I haven't
received any replies yet though.
Tonight I also contacted Irish organizations
The Irish Druid Network, and Druid School,
and the Druid Clan of Dana, and
three British organizations, The Druid Network,
The Pagan Federation, and The Druid Order,
and Scottish organizations The Pagan Federation (Scotland)
and The Gaelic Druid Order, and American organizations
Avalon Druid Order, Ancient Order of Druids in America,
and the Gnostic Celtic Church. But I sent them all
just short messages pointing to my web page, not
the full Taliesin's cycles of inspiration post.
David Dalton
2015-07-22 03:02:37 UTC
Post by David Dalton
Post by David Dalton
Post by David Dalton
Post by David Dalton
[...]
Tonight I received polite replies from OBOD
and The Pagan Federation. The OBOD contact
pointed me to their message board, which I will
check out within the next few days. The Pagan
Federation contact said he or she could ask
on their PF Officials e group if I didn't mind
my details being shared, and I replied OK.

So anyway I haven't been totally ignored, and
that was true of these groups as well back
when there were a good few others posting to them.
David Dalton
2015-07-24 03:34:58 UTC
Post by David Dalton
Tonight I received polite replies from OBOD
and The Pagan Federation. The OBOD contact
pointed me to their message board, which I will
check out within the next few days.
I registered on the message board tonight (but I am still
not an OBOD member) and posted a medium length post to
the Introductions topic, a long post to the Welsh subforum
of the Celtic Studies forum, a short post to the Celtic
Studies forum which I then thought should have gone to
the Mythology and Lore forum so I posted it there too.
I used my real name as username. But I probably won't
get back to check for replies until Monday night since
I will be away (house sitting) from the Internet for
the next few days.
David Dalton
2015-08-07 03:53:27 UTC
Post by David Dalton
Post by David Dalton
Tonight I received polite replies from OBOD
and The Pagan Federation. The OBOD contact
pointed me to their message board, which I will
check out within the next few days.
I registered on the message board tonight (but I am still
not an OBOD member) and posted a medium length post to
the Introductions topic, a long post to the Welsh subforum
of the Celtic Studies forum, a short post to the Celtic
Studies forum which I then thought should have gone to
the Mythology and Lore forum so I posted it there too.
I used my real name as username. But I probably won't
get back to check for replies until Monday night since
I will be away (house sitting) from the Internet for
the next few days.
I got a little feedback on the Mythology and Lore forum.
(It, and the other threads I posted to, are browsable
by anyone, without registering, at http://messageboard.druidry.org

I plan to register online for the Ph.D. in geophysics on
Sunday unless I get a better offer before then.